...is not an easy job and must not be undertaken carelessly, lightly or selfishly, but by God's help, with reverence, responsibility, respect and the promise to be faithful. Ah - no - I went off into a poetic dreamy moment quoting some ancient marriage service. But on reflection there is some truth in my meandering. Governing a school is a serious business - and certainly shouldn't be undertaken without serious consideration. For starters, the stakes are enormous, with children's lives at stake and large amounts of public money to account for.
And it is not a job for amateurs. Hold it - before you shoot me down, I'll explain what I mean. Every member of the governing body should have some skill or experience to offer - and I'm glad the new education bill (hot off the press) will make this clear. Although the body should in some ways reflect the community for which the school caters, it is more important that you have people who understand how learning takes place, how organisations work, how to manage finance effectively, how to look after buildings etc. So, in that sense, no governor is an amateur but has some sort of skill to bring to the table.
I am chair of governors of a comprehensive school in Lambeth - and the responsibility scares me. I have been a headteacher and a business leader and feel I have a reasonable understanding of how effective schools work. But it is tough and I feel very nervous about getting it wrong.
Having said all that, we really need upstanding members of the community, who have appropriate knowledge, skill - and an attitude of wanting to serve - to step up to the mark and volunteer as governors. In blunt economic terms alone, you are serving the country by investing in our human capital.
But it's also a stimulating way to spend your spare time - so you get as much out of it as you put in.
No comments:
Post a Comment