Let me start by saying that I know I'm a hypocrite.
That said, I really think it's time to curb the advanced bragging that so many schools indulge in these days. The more successful and confident a school becomes, the less it should feel inclined to ram this down people's throats.
Read a letter from a high performing school or visit its website - and you might see 10 to 15 logos emblazoned across them. These could be for any number of achievements but one school I know has:
High performing status
Beacon status
International status
Investors in People (for the second and third time)
Artsmark
Sportsmark
Public Service Award
Similarly, you get letters or emails from schools and the heads are keen to tell you that they are NLEs, PhDs, Special Advisers to Sweden or whatever. Somehow, the more someone tells me they are wonderful by the letters and descriptors they put after their name, the less I take that as read.
Our national temperament, something I value greatly, is to be self-effacing. We don't brag; we're confident in who we are; our achievements speak for themselves.
The louder we cry how wonderful we are, the less authentic we sound.
There are lots of schools around the country that are achieving superb things with their children and young people. Let's celebrate that, but in a quieter, less frantic way. Let's be proud, not pompous.
No comments:
Post a Comment