About Me

My photo
I run The Key and Ten Governor Support - a team of 50+ highly talented individuals with a passion to support school leaders and governors

Friday, 13 July 2012

Stood up

You can't imagine the stick I've had from all my followers complaining about the time it's been since my last post. 

I was at the Durham International Leaders conference for school leaders a couple of weeks ago.  It was 9.10am.  I was due to speak for 25 minutes at 11 in a double act with (Lord) Michael Bichard, who would speak from 11.25 to 12.15.  My phone rang and I left the room to take it.  Michael's train was at a standstill, with a 'person under the train'. 

10.30  I ring Michael.  Where are you?  Will you make it?  What were you going to say? Answers: Being towed round the coast to Newcastle.  No.  Things you won't be able to say on my behalf.

10.40  I tell the organisers what has happened and they ask if I can manage on my own.  Quite an ask when the other speakers are Alastair Campbell, Estelle Morris, Kate Adie et al.  Of course, I say, stretching out my material in my head as I do so.  I walk off to find a quiet area for ten minutes. 

I speak for 75 minutes, using every possilbe anecdote, example, witticism I can think of.  I speak in a high voice.  I speak in a low voice.  I move subtly from one point on the platform to another, cleverly demonstrating the shift in political ideology I am trying to explain.  When I finally give up and look down at my watch, it is 12.15.  Relief par excellence.

It's taken a while to recover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment