I couldn't stand Geography at school. It always seemed to be taught by PE teachers, who weren't that interested in it. I hated having to copy from the board drawings of glaciated landscapes, for which I got low marks and high levels of frustration. And yet it is one of those subjects that sits right in the middle of the sciences and the social sciences. If I could pick my subjects today, Geography would certainly be on my timetable.
Suddenly the subject has moved centre stage, featuring on the main cast list for the new E Bacc. University Geography departments must be buzzing with delight (not the first metaphor that would come to mind for any group of academics, I know) as they prepare to increase their intakes in a few years' time.
Rather a shame for the also-rans, though. Design Technology, RS etc departments are no doubt feeling less than thrilled.
No comments:
Post a Comment